Friday, January 25, 2008

I'm Back!

So it's been quite awhile since I disappeared. BEEN BUSY!!!!!

I was able to move most of my terminal servers over to modified version of Ubuntu running a modified version of FreeNX. That was most fun. Now Windows users can login to our Linux servers and run Linux apps and print to their printers without installing any software on their desktop or loading any java classes in their browsers. Everything runs in memory on the Windows pcs. The client is a standalone 1.4 mb exe.

Now I'm going to recreate the server installs I made using the newer 7.10 as a basis instead of Fiesty.

Along with moving people over to Linux, I was able to move the majority of my servers from our downtown location and collocate with another company near O'hare. For me it means better partnerships as well as over the board services. Within a week, I was able to provide my clients with bandwidth up to 10mbs a sec per server.

It's funny, I have come from a Windows background. Microsoft Windows has always been my bread and butter. Everything at one time in my company was running Windows, from the servers, routers, desktops. But now, those ISA servers are Linux Endian machines. The Exchange servers are Linux Citadel machines. My web servers which ran IIS, are now apache. And my fileserver running Windows 2000 adv server is now running Samba and Swat with AD integration. Now some of the terminal servers are now being converted to NX servers. Maybe by the end of the year I will be able to move the SQL servers to MySQL.

It's been 5 years since I started this journey and I have learned alot along the way. I guess I am just shocked that I could technically build a datacenter on almost complete opensource, especially when I was doing it for so long on Windows.

No comments: