Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Quick Terminal Client How-to

Working at a client site the other day and he wanted to see Ubuntu connect to his Windows 2000 terminal server. If you know me, you know I love to speak out and advocate whenever I can and this particular client had heard me talk at several functions on Ubuntu and how it can easily be an alternative to Windows. He invited me to his office for a presentation.

After speaking with him regarding his workstation requirements. I found that the client literally used his XP and 2000 workstations as HUGE, FAT Terminal clients. NOTHING was running except Windows - all their applications resided on a corporate terminal server.

This was too easy.

I literally opened my cd case: I carry a copy of Ubuntu with me when I am working, and asked him if there was a terminal I could borrow for 5 minutes. I explained that I would not alter any information or install anything on the client pc. Within 5 minutes I was on my livecd desktop and connected to his Terminal server with remote drive mappings, remote printer mappings and exporting excel documents to his local livecd desktop - opening them in Openoffice - I even added their printers on the livecd and was able to print documents. I literally replaced his client pc with a livecd. He was impressed to say the least.

The hardest part was getting the command for Ubuntu's remote client to connect to the terminal server with drive mappings and printer mappings. Within minutes I sold him on replacing his costly XP machines to lowcost Ubuntu terminal clients.


Here is the command in case you are interested:
rdesktop [ip address of terminal server] -r disk:v=/ -r printer:Cannon

rdesktop is your window into the terminal client built into ubuntu. This command connects to the server running terminal services, creates a V drive in the terminal session which remaps to the Linux client's root drive and also creates a printer inside the terminal session. Make sure you name pass it the same name of the default printer you are using in Linux.

You can save this into a bash file and launch as an icon on your ubuntu desktop.

Showcasing the power of ubuntu is always fun.

You may ask why did the client wish to replace Windows machines with Ubuntu when he had over 200 perfectly fine valid XP licenses as well as familiar XP desktops?

COST
It cost money to keep Windows on the desktop. Not only do you need an XP or Vista license, you need alot of auxiliary programs such as a defragmentation software, antivirus, security software, as well as several 24x7 tech, depending on your size, who are willing to run around every week and apply hotfixes as well as correct user created issues. The total cost of running a Windows shop can be much higher and frustrating than a Linux shop as my new client will atest to. ESPECIALLY if you are just using the desktops as terminal clients.

2 comments:

Ash said...

Hey don't complain, you will make more money troubleshooting windows =)

Antonio Sosa said...

First off
I have helped admin window machines for over 9 years. I loved and hated Windows over that time period. Today I still have huge installations running Windows and they are successful implentations but they are stressful and sometimes unnecessary especially if the client just wants thin clients.

In both a Windows and Linux shop, I am compensated for my support and time. Most clients already have a channel to buy software and even if they opted to go thru me, I do not receive more money for selling a license. I get the same price like everyone else. There is no real markup. Besides 9 times out of ten the client already owns the windows license - it was sold to them when they brought their pcs. So really it is the value of my time and more importantly what makes sense both long term and short.

The client and I do not like to receive angry calls about viruses, trojans etc. The client and I do not like receiving calls at 2 am that something is down.

Linux has Windows beat hands-down. Plus Linux servers hardly ever need to reboot etc. It's just a more stable environment and I have a happier client - this is assuming of course that their desktop/server scenarios allow for deploying Linux. Some clients - windows is the only solution but more and more I find Linux can do the job and do it better.

So do I make more on Windows than Linux - just on support. Windows breaks so much more but honestly I would be willing to forgo some of the support calls to have instead Linux running solidly and allowing me to have a happier social life outside of the office.