Tuesday, October 6, 2009

New Ubuntu and apt-build fun

Looking forward to the new build of ubuntu coming out at the end of the month. I've been holding off on uploading my new builds as I thought early last month that i would just end up replacing them when the new build comes out anyways.

I have been playing with apt-build. For those who do not know - apt-build allows you to install apps like normal but during the install, downloads the source if it is available from the repos and builds a version of the intended app on your machine to take advantage of your specific hardware.

I've been playing with it and it really does speed up your system. I ran apt-build and built my entire system from the ground up - kernel, openoffice, gnome, etc. And everything just pops.

Unfortunately it took like 8 hours to do. :) But now - openoffice and gnome in general just is lightning fast. If you have the time I would highly suggest trying it out.

2 comments:

Vikas said...

Hi Antonio,
I have a question for you. Can you please tell me how specific you were compiling i.e. light, medium or strong. I did strong on a corei7 processor and openoffice has taken 8 hrs and still there is no hint when this will get built :(.

Antonio Sosa said...

Hi Vikas

Sorry been sooooo busy. When I ran the recompile - I just left it overnight. It was on a work computer so I did it like at 2pm and left it running - by the time it was 5pm I saw it was still running so I left it and went home - when I got in the next day, it was done. I don't know how long it took. Sorry - let me know if it finished :) and how the performance was afterwards.

Thanks for reading my posts