Monday, April 23, 2007

Automatix the great killer?

For all those of you who have been following my little pet project of blogging the customization of Ubuntu, it has come to my attention that one of the apps that I selected may cause more harm than good. I have tested all the apps on a variety of hardware and have been deploying them within certain customer locations for the last year or so.

The program in question is Automatix. I have found Automatix to be a great time saver in grabbing and installing software typically not selectable from within the Ubuntu vast repositories. I realize there are other solutions such as EasyUBUNTU but since I have not had a problem with Automatix, I have added it to the list of software I would like to showcase in my custom iso.

As this is a pet project and really meant to showcase what is possible with Ubuntu and push forward the notion that customizing Ubuntu's already great distro into your own is a great and powerful thing I want to make sure it is stable and does not offer a broken app within it's included software bundle. If there are any cases where you have had problems with any of the software I am currently including, let me know and I will rip the misbehaving software out. After all what good is a solid Linux foundation if you have bad software running around.

Also if there are any software packages that you think I should include, please throw me a line or comment in my blog.

No comments: