Friday, April 20, 2007

Customizing and Staging Ubuntu Fiesty

Fiesty is out!
So the new Fiesty is out and I personally have been waiting for it to be released so I can finally build my own version of it for my clients. Over the last eight months or so I have customized Dapper and Edgy. Although I loved the versions I have been able to conjure up, I never could build a version which worked flawlessly on laptops due to wireless issues as well as those pesty ATI drivers. With the new version of Fiesty, I am hoping I can leverage the great work that Ubuntu and the community as a whole have made in this release.

Over the next few days I am going to build several versions of my LAVA platform using the new Ubuntu as a base.

Here is a breakdown of the versions I plan to build
  • LAVA - CD version. For computers which do not have a DVD. This is going to have UBUNTU with several applications changes which I prefer as well as different art and a special application which will allow users to connect directly to technical support. It will be a remote tool where a user can initiate a connection to a tech and the tech can remote into the users system. All Lava editions will have this support tool built in.
  • LAVA Plus - DVD Version. This is essential a Home Premium build. It will have DVD burning apps, Music apps, Converters, games, emulators, a full suite of internet apps such as streamripper, pan, gaim, etc. I am also customizing Nautilus with several scripts to make is easier to get work done.
  • LAVA DEV - DVD Version. This is LAVA Plus and more. It has all the development libraries necessary to build gnome apps, Glade, Mono. It also has built in support for Panda3D, Ogre, Crystal Space, ClanSDK, Openscene development. I am also adding Blender, Blender Plug ins. Full suite of Web Developer toolkits and Editors.
  • LAVA Secure - CD Version. A tech toolkit. Everything you need to image a computer, run virus scans, network scans, etc.
  • LAVA USB - smaller LAVA distro placed on a USB stick which can be run inside windows without installing anything on the client pc and running inside QEMU so you don't even need to reboot - just plugin into a Windows machine and click on the LAVA exe. Lava will run inside a Window.
I also have plans for a LAVA version which can be used to build a dumb file server which can be administrated from swat and a terminal server based on FreeNX.

Obviously this is going to take some time and this will be the first blog outlining my progress.

No comments: