Saturday, October 18, 2008

SYSCTL.conf

So the sysctl.conf file I posted in my last blog has gone threw some revisions and now I have a sysctl.conf file that seems to be very stable and gives better performance for higher end pcs. Any pc/server with 1GB or more. I added it to my lastest build of my custom ubuntu cd. I also added a bunch of new settings like setting more sensible defaults in hdparm.conf for more modern hardware - increasing the cpuFreq daemon cause I want my dual core to be at performance always, etc. I added them to my new build and also added them to my wiki site.

A wiki site is really a great tool. I have been using it extensively for the last couple months. I wiki everything I learn now so I can always come back to it. My custom apt-get scripts, my scripts to remove extra libs, languages, docs i don't need as well as the scripts that help me rebuild ubuntu.

I've also began using the wiki not only for my lava project but my game project and all the information I have learned on building email servers with ubuntu,fedora,suse,scalix, citadel. It really is helpful to know that once I successfully build or develop a new workflow, install, etc I can find it back in my wiki site without having to scour the internet and refind the information.

The wiki engine I choose was from mindtouch and it really is powerful and simple to use, plus they offer debs for ubuntu so setting it up was really easy. If you are in the market for a wiki, i recommend it.

http://wiki.developer.mindtouch.com/MindTouch_Deki/Download

No comments: