Sunday, January 4, 2009

64bits of power

So I have been playing with Ubuntu 8.10 64bit this weekend.

I like it.

My home test machine an AMD 3400+ seems to run faster with it than the 32bit ubuntu I have been using. I was worried about alot of the third-party software i use as they come in debs already for ubuntu but building some from source was not too bad and I then make the newly built binaries debs for 64 so it worked out. I was really worried about my game library - panda3d - but the folks at panda3d started making 64 bit versions and they had a premade deb so it all worked out. I loaded it and ran the source code of my developing game and voila - it worked without any changes.

I'm going to start building a new pc for my home and since I am going to have more than 4gb it was important to me to see if the 64bit version was going to be any trouble but i have been running it for 2 days and burned some cds, played my music, hooked up my ipod, wrote some python, panda3d, and django code and even did some rails and everything worked well. YIPPPEEE!!! Who says computers are a pain?

No comments: