Tuesday, January 6, 2009

General Opensource post

Not really about Ubuntu but more about opensource. I'm blogging from my other pc right now :) the Vista one. I know, I know. But I am a developer and some of my clients cling to their Microsoft ways which means I still need a development pc with windows installed.

Anyways !!!! Being in a vista world is painful. I really mean it. Here I am paying over a hundred dollars for an OS which is slow on a quad core with 4 gbs of memory and a SATAII HD with 16MB cache raided as 0. I mean I really have to spend time when I install it to remove the Aero effects, add a bunch of registery tweaks for file system speed ups, increasing L Cache and hacking the tcpip stack to get more connections for my browsing. Needless to say besides the OS I try to make all the other software, opensource.

I include in my opensource arsena many projects and project spin-offs. A list can be found on the side of my blog. And I am constantly on the lookout for more. Well I found a cool site last week which I wanted to share.

Mulder's Homepage - I don't think it's Mulder the former FBI detective turned opensource but nonetheless - the man has built a bunch of cool apps with Delphi for Windows based on alot of opensource projects including Mplayer with Smplayer and lots of codes. :)

From his website
"This package contains the latest builds of MPlayer for the Windows platform as well as SMPlayer and MPUI. Thanks to the award-winning MPlayer engine, more than 192 Video- and 85 Audiocodecs are supported natively! For maximum performance the package includes optimized MPlayer binaries for various CPU types. Furthermore the Full-Package includes the Binary Codec Package to enable even more audio/video formats."

What I really like about his install is it checks your cpu and loads an optimized version of mplayer and during the install the installer actually recompresses the dlls and exes with upx and makes them lighter and faster.

The player works really great - no more Windows Media Player for me!!! and VLC although good sometimes cannot play wmv files right. This Mplayer build plays it all.

On his site he also has : AVidemux, MakeInstallPlayer, LameXP, SFXTool, and a version of mencoder with a gui. I actually loaded them all and they run fast and light.

Try them out - you'll find yourself using less of the windows bloat and more opensource.

http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?page=home

No comments: